Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Home canning Cheese sauce and buttter and fresh cows milk

Home canning Cheese sauce
6 lbs of Velveeta cheese ( I used a off brand, which was half in price)
3 1/2 cups of heavy cream
1/4 lb butter
1 quart milk
( I used our fresh cows milk, our butter and cream. This cut the price of my sauce way down. I just had to buy the cheese. In case any of you have your own cows, I'm not sure if goats milk will work.)
*melt butter in a big sauce pot
*add milk and cream
*slice cheese into above mixture
*melt cheese slowly, if melted too fast it will burn on the bottom.
*put into hot jars
*seal and hot bath for 20 minutes.
Makes 20 jelly jars. ( mine made 22 jelly jars)
The cheese sauce is great. I found that a jelly jar is enough cheese for a batch of mac & cheese for 4 people. And here, they like to spread the cheese on crackers too ( it's like a cheese whiz). The best part for me is that it stores on the shelf. If keep in a cool dry place, it should last at least 2 years. ( I got it at
http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/getrecipe.zsp?id=82726 It's called "home canned nacho cheese sauce", But I just wanted the cheese sauce above.)


Home canned butter
I also found out you can, home can butter see here:
http://frugalabundance.com/homecannedbutter.htm I have not tried this one yet as for time and it's been to hot to make big batches of butter. I only make what we need, and all the extra cream I freeze for now. Then when it cools off, I'll thaw the cream and make butter, then can it.


Canning raw cow's milk
With our milk cow giving us 3 plus gallons a day ( it's only her first calf). I have extra milk. So I freeze some (for when she is dry) and I can some( this canned milk makes the best white gravy you ever had. I use the canned milk for cooking only.We have been doing this for years. Can be used any where you would use milk or store can milk.)


Fill quarts and/ or pints with milk to with in 1/4 in. from rim. Then pressure can (cook) 10 minutes at 15 lbs pressure for both qts. and pts.


The milk will be a light tan color. I have canned the milk whole (without decreaming it, which will give you a thick cream like butter on top of the milk, which is good in cooking) and I have canned decreamed milk ( I take just the heavy cream off first, which gives you a little of the cream like butter on top). Both ways are good. And I have not used goats milk, but I think it would be the same but I'm not sure. If any one knows please let me know, Ok.


I would also like to thank you all for your tips on everything here. This site has been such a blessing to me. You see where I live, there are only 2-3 families in the area that live this way. Do other people think you are strange too, for the way you live?
Thanks again, Becky

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    I prepared your above recipe this morning & added some jalapenos(they were already slice in a jar) but i shredded them some more with a salad shooter. I reduced the quanity of everything down by to a third(sense there are only two of us). Anyway, it tasted fantastic! My problem was I had made some spaghetti sauce the night before & wanted to can both. I thought since I threw in the jalapenos it should pressure cook for 90 min. also. as the spaghetti sauce....wrong! What an experiment this is turning out to be. Experiment key word. I should not have pressure cooked these two items together.....can you spell myth busters:):O
    Sincerely,

    A Test presure cooker:)

    ReplyDelete