Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Foods You Stock Up

Please make sure the foods you stock up on, our foods you will eat. Why buy 50 pounds of rice, if no one will eat it.  I stock up on foods that can be mix and match with other things,  and am able to make more than one kind of meal with it.

Elbow noodles, cheese sauce, spag. sauce, mixed vegs( in #10 cans), canned meats( or just meat)= can be made into: mac and cheese, spag. with elbow noodles, Soup made with noodles-mixed vegs-a little meat, cheese spread on bread or crackers.

Flour: makes breads, noodles, breadings

Rice: make rice and gravy with meat, add to soups, as a side dish, if you run out of chicken food- cook some up for them-I have done it for weeks

Meats: have some home canned and/or store canned ( no power, ets, already cooked), some in freezer.

Think about your  most ate meals, and try to stock those things. Check the dates on everything you buy! Start off small, buy  few extra things at a time, Or at least a meals worth and /or days worth.  The extras you get put up, out of sight until you get a supply going as you might be tempted to use it.  Everyone is having hard times. And I know it’s harder now to stock up, but this mess is not going away any time soon. Think of the cheapest meal you can get by with, this is not the time to stock up on T- Bones, etc.  If you are used to buying name brand things, try a few off brands, sometimes  you’ll be able to get 2 off brand ideas for the price of a name brand. I know some off brands are not good, but some are. Stocking up is the best thing you can do for your family. I try and prepare for the worse and pray for the best. We are not eating all the meals , we were eating last year. We get a lot of different foods, and the amounts are cut some. I used to make sweets daily and now I only make them 3 times a week.  Instead of cooking a whole chicken for dinner, I cook enough for a piece a person, they eat more vegs and bread. The steaks (our cow meat) cut up for beef stew, and get two meals out of one. I know this will not work for every one out there, but pick and choose what will or you think will work for your family. I have just been doing it so long, it’s now a habit. If you need any help just ask. If you have a meal you want to stretch, or come up with some other meal with same stuff in it, just let me know. And I’ll try my best to help. I hope this helps every one out there.

Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment