Thursday, June 5, 2008

Garden doing GOOD and tips

Just about everything is up and somethings are blooming. Is it me or did it get hotter sooner this year than last? The heat here has been up above the 90's for the last week.

Garden tips:

* when you sucker your tomato plants, put the suckers on and around your cabbage plants.

* those of you who drink coffee, allow your used grounds to dry out, then spread around garden and or plants(in pots). This feeds your earthworms and brings more around.

* allow used coffee filters to dry out, then place around plants to keep weeds down, and acts like a mulch( helps keep moist in soil)

* allow empty egg shells to dry and crush them up and put them in a ring around the base, on the ground: cabbage and tomato plants.

*Don't tell to many people this hint, OK. Most feed stores that sell straw and hay by the bale, will allow you to clean up ground and/or floor of busted bales, the extra that falls off while moving it around. But ask first, my feed store calls me to clean it up so they don't have too. This is great mulch, and cuts way down on weeding. I did my whole raised bed garden last year, and walk ways too. (any extra hay can be used to fill chicken nests, that means no more buying hay for nest, straw is not good for there nest)

Well this should get you started. If any one has good tips, please share them.
Time to go hoe some more and plant my Sweet Basil plants, and check on my drying herbs.
Becky

1 comment:

  1. Becky & Tommy-So glad I finally got the info. for your blog. Please know that you are in my prayers and those of my church family. I am so very sorry to hear about the latest battles. I am recovering from surgery on my right hand and go back to work tomorrow. We know we have an awesome God and I know you are in His care. Please take care. I love you guys. Brenda

    ReplyDelete