Monday, September 8, 2008

Things are a little tighter so far this month.

The  disability check didn't go far this month and this month is not even half way over yet. Why? I'm not really sure. I have been trying to figure that out. And the only thing I can think of right off hand is more trips to doctors, GAS. No extra trips (fun,just to get out,etc.) to town. Ok,time to get more creative with what I have. We just trade one of our big trucks for a smaller stick shift truck, but will have to wait until next month to get it on the road. That will help a great deal on the gas. Our food supply is good, Thank you, Lord. We have a roof over our heads, power is on, clothes on our back, and we will make it through this month. God has never let us down, and He's never left us. So why am I posting all of this? Well this is my life on the farm and in this world. Just maybe it'll help someone else make  it another month, or they'll become more thankful for what they have. I know some of the blogs I read and keep up with, do that for me. I see that there are others out there like me or are in worse shape then me. I learn from others along the way and pray for those in need.  Sometimes something in some one else's blog- renews my strength and brightens my day, or just brings a needed smile to my face. So I am not sure what you, the reader, will get from this post, but I pray you are blessed in some  way.

I have been canning more potatoes, and milk, freezing cream. It really needs to cool off some here so as I can make butter. It's still in the 90's at 5pm here.  My freezer is almost full of cream. The garden is almost done for this year, I have two rows of potatoes left to dug up. But it's been really hot and we do not have a cellar, and I wanted to have some uncanned potatoes for the winter.  So I'll leave them in the ground just a little longer. 

Our friends had to move out of state to find work. So they blessed us with a new looking couch( Tommy lays here to take his breathing treatments, and our old one had him just about laying on the floor. We really needed a new one), a bunk bed set( twin on top and full on bottom. which I put in our other room, for when family comes), an outside glass top table with four chairs, a gliding rocker, and a few other things. All these things were a wonderful blessing. It felt like Christmas. Our friends will be greatly missed, but they said they'd be back. The Lord used them to bless us. He's still watching out for us.

On to a brighter note: 387 + people in the last 30 days have looked at the Canning Potatoes post. That's a blessing to me. I know here potatoes have went way, way up in price. So if you find them on sale, can some.  If you canned potatoes for the first time, please let me know how it went for you.

In the recipes tab at the top: Comment #7 from Stacie tells how canning butter turned out. I have not try it yet but she did and lets us know how it went. Thank you Stacie.

There are a lot of you who are first year canners, How is it going so far?

Well this was just on my mind and had to get it out. Hope you all have a wonderful day.

Until next time, and God bless you all,

Becky

P.S. Don't forget to sign up for the give away. Please allow me to bless one of you.   Click here to find out more. Drawing is tomorrow evening.

Comments:

  1. Thanks for the update, Becky
    I will keep your family in my prayers. I know from personal experience that the Lord will always provide. When my Dh lost his job a few years ago, we leaned on Him completely and He saw us through to this day.
    I am preparing our pantry for the winter right now. We need a lot more flour, so that is my priority right now. Tomorrow I will shop, today I’m making cottage cheese kuchen(old German recipe)and freezing some of the sweet bread dough base.
    Blessings, Joyce Comment by Joyce | September 8, 2008 |

  2. I remember when I was younger going through those tight times, and I remember how stressed my parents were. We made it through, and I know you guys will too. I’ll send good thoughts your way. I’m always looking for new farming blogs to read, and I found yours through a search for Google. Now I’m off to look at your ‘canning potatoes’ page. Comment by Jen @ J&J Acres | September 8, 2008 |

  3. Becky -  Your positive attitude when facing these things is the biggest blessing to me. Yes, I do know the Lord will watch over us and provide what we need…I just sometimes have difficulty staying positive and proactive in the face of (what are in reality)my LITTLE problems. To see you, and other blogs I visit, where people stay so proactive in the face of significant challenges humbles me and makes me realize that my life is GREAT and this too shall pass. You keep me positive, proactive and motivated. Thank you!  P.S. I’ve been working on my Fall To Do List and actually crossed one off this weekend…yippee! Linda Comment by Linda | September 8, 2008 |

  4. I just wanted to say that I love your blog. I will keep you in my thoughts and hope you can make it through the rest of the month without any trouble. I too have been dealing with tight times and I agree that a positive attitude and being thankful for what you have goes a long way. Comment by Jessi | September 8, 2008 |

  5. Those were some wonderful blessing you got from your friends! Isn’t it wonderful when things work out like that?  Hope you have a wonderful day! Comment by D. | September 9, 2008 |

  6. I was wondering if you have a solution for medical insurance on a small budget? Comment by Georgene | September 13, 2008 |

  7. Georgene,
    Thank you for stopping in. I really don’t have a solution. But I do pray a lot. In GA, they have Peach Care for kids, TN has Ten Care for kids. Our family doctor, takes your income and works on a sliding scale. But for adults, there is nothing I know of. And oh how I searched and searched. I wish I did have the answer, because I know so many people really need it. I believe this area is where our government has failed the people. We have been fighting for months, trying to get anything for Tommy (my hubby). When he was approved for Disability for prostate cancer that moved to the bones and COPD, they took away his Medicaid. Here in GA you can only make $430 a month to get adult Medicaid, his check is $996 a month. Only thing for you to do is check and see what your state has. This is not much help I know, and I’m sorry. Have a good day.
    Becky Comment by jordansfarm | September 13, 2008 |

  8. Hi Becky,
    I’m stunned that they took away his medical insurance. We live in California and I know they offer different state insurances. I did some calling once and found a place that would help but I think we made too much, also. My husband is still working at this point but his health is declining so I’m checking out options ahead of time. God bless you! Thank you for responding. I’m amazed at what you are living on. It gives me hope. Comment by Georgene | September 13, 2008 |

  9. Becky, I enjoyed reading some of the things that you have on your site. I feel for you and the problems that you are having. You mentioned that money was tight and I was wondering if you have ever tried to have some of your works published in magazines like Backwoods Home magazine? With money being tight, it might be a way to get a few extra dollars. Good luck and our prayers will be with you and your family. Robert Andrews and family. Comment by Robert | September 21, 2008 |

  10. Robert,
    Thank you for stopping in. I started this blog to help others make it, in the hard times ahead and now. I am not much of a writer. I just write what I know and what I feel and think. The Lord has blessed this site, and I give Him all the glory. I don’t know were this blog is going from day to day, I leave it in His hands. If the Lord wants me to publish, He’ll have to open the doors. As I am just a simple housewife, servicing Him. Just knowing this blog is helping people and they are learning new things is a wonderful blessing to me. The Lord has always blessed us, and we have had all our need meet. Thank you for your prayers, as they help us from day to day.
    God bless you,  Becky Comment by jordansfarm | September 22, 2008 |

No comments:

Post a Comment