Saturday, September 20, 2008

Is it worth it to have a milk cow? YES

863.5 gallons

from 12-1-07 to 9-26-08, just milk in gallons, 10 months.
x    $3.00 price of the cheapest store bought milk- by the gallon
= $ 2,590.50 total of milk if bought in store
-  $1,600.00 10 months of feed for cow, $160 a month
=$990.50 we saved just on milk in 10 months

 

But this is just milk prices. From this milk I have made: all the butter, whip cream, cheeses, sour cream, fed the cats and dogs and more, that we use.

So really our savings is more than above. But I use the number as a guide to make sure I am not losing money by feeding the cow.

Some people have wanted to know this as they are thinking of getting a milk cow.

Hope this helps.

Becky

Comments:

  1. Great breakdown on prices Becky. I always tell people that cow manure makes my garden grow sooo good. So that is even another benefit. Comment by throwback at trapper creek | September 21, 2008 |

  2. I’ve been thinking about getting a few chickens, but now I’m thinking I may need to add a milk cow to my wish list.  ) Milk is $4 a gallon here - even the store brands. Ugh! Stacie Comment by arksoaper | September 21, 2008 |

No comments:

Post a Comment