Monday, September 29, 2008

Farm Life - 9/29 - Photos

My son is coming over today to cover the roof vents up for the winter.  This is a blessing as Tommy can't get up on the roof anymore and I really don't like heights. My son will help do a few other things around here, to help us get ready for winter. But I think he just wants some of my cooking, you know he is still a growing boy.  

We here, are still out of gas (GA,TN,NC). And no one is sure when we will get some more.  We have a half a tank of gas, which should get us to town about 5-6 times. But I do not need to go to town for about a week. I really feel for those here, trying just to get to work. Tommy and I feel some place might close down for a while here, because of the gas. According to the News, it is just the southeast, USA. Ok, winter is not even here yet.  Lord, help us all.

 

 This truck gets 25+ miles to the gallon, while only on a good day did this truck get 10.

IMG_0021  IMG_0022

 

 My strawberry  patch/ raised beds garden is almost ready for winter. There are still a few more tomatoes, and the birds are almost done with the sunflowers. I covered the beds in straw for the winter. Strawberry plants will get covered after the first frost.

 IMG_0023  

IMG_0024

  My garlic is drying and I'm going to try braiding it this year.

 IMG_0010

 Our T-Bone steaks come out to about $.50 a pound. All the beef cuts and hamburger is about $.50 a pound. This prices includes all the feed we give them and the butchers prices to cut, wrap and freeze. Is it worth having a beef cow? YES. I know what my cows eat, and who they are bred to. We have had our own meat so long that when we eat out/ someone else house, their meat taste so bland and tough and no flavor. This is most likely why they come here to eat. Would you like to come to dinner, too?

   IMG_0002

 

We are not getting the building, a long story. But I thanked the Lord with tears in my eyes, for He knows what's best for us.  1 Thess. 5:18 says "In everything give thanks...". This is sometimes hard to do without tears. But I know He knows what's best and does everything for our good.  I will not lean on my own understanding, but lean on Him.

One day at a time. One prayer at a time. Becky

Comments:

  • Love the pictures! Keep them coming! I get so many ideas when I see them! Love how you did your strawberries! Comment by Pamspride | September 29, 2008 |

  • So sorry you are not getting your building. We too, have been wanting/waiting for a small building to use as a summer kitchen. We’ve “almost” been able to get 3 but each one fell through - I guess God has something else in kind for us - maybe learning the gift of patience!! Your garden pictures are wonderful! We are almost done digging up potatoes, carrots and beets then we will till and mulch. Minnesota winters can be tough - glad our garden prospered well (as yours did) and we have plenty of food put away for those long winter months! God Bless. Comment by Becky S. | September 29, 2008 |

  • Why do you cover your beds with straw for the winter? My wife & i love your blog and have learned a lot from you. Comment by Rick | October 1, 2008 |

  • Rick, In raised beds it’s hard to get a tiller in to loosen the soil. I have found that if I cover it with straw, the soil stays loose and does not get hard. Over the winter, I will spread used coffee grounds on top of the straw. This feeds the worms and keeps my soil even looser. Then in the spring, I pull the straw between the beds, in the walk ways, and use it as mulch in the walk ways.
    All the straw I use is free, well almost, I just have to pick it up off the ground. Our feed store has a big truck that bring them straw. They let me clean up the mess on the ground and in the trailers bed. To me this is the best straw, because its all the small straw, and not the long straw. The small short straw works best in beds. Then once my spring plant are up, I mulch them with this straw. At the end of harvest, the bed straw goes in the walk ways.
    Hope this helps. And thank you for stopping in. Have a great day. Becky  Comment by jordansfarm | October 1, 2008 |

  • Your website is so helpful and motivating! I have started stocking up and canning because we recently moved out to the country with our 3 boys and i am trying to learn all i can about homesteading. We home school and money is tight. My hubby wants to buy in on half a beef cow. What cuts do you like to get and how long does one cow supply last? Thank you for all you do, you are a great teacher. God is blessing what you do. Comment by kate | October 1, 2008 |

  • Kate, We have our beef cut: into steaks and 30% hamburger meat. I have no roast as we can’t eat that much. And with the steak cuts: I cut steaks up for beef stew meat, or in strips, and with the big steak I cook them like a roast. Type of steak cuts we get are: T-bones, cubed steaks, shoulder steaks, round steaks.etc. We have them cut the ribs in half, then in half again.
    When there was 5 of us at home, we used 1 whole cow and 2 pigs,1 deer a year. Now with just the 3 of us the cow will last 1 1/2 to 2 years, if I have other meat I can cook. This year we didn’t raise any pigs, so I only have a little bit of pork left from last years pigs. And I only have a little bit of chicken and deer meat in the freezer. So for now, we are eating more beef than we usually do.
    You could stretch your beef out better. For when there was 5 of us, I would put 3-5 pounds of meat on the table at night, and this was back in to easier times. Here lately I have cut back on our meat.
    With the way things are now, it would be best if you can get even a half a cow. Hope this helps some. If you have any more questions just let me know.
    Thank you for stopping in. Have a great day. Becky Comment by jordansfarm | October 2, 2008 |

  • No comments:

    Post a Comment