Friday, October 10, 2008

Lessons Learned

With our potato crop not doing well this year, we did not get enough potatoes to last us until next year, first time in ten years, I bought instant potatoes and the dried sliced potatoes in boxes. First lesson, when trying something new with your family, only buy 1 box, (I bought 10). The sliced potatoes(with cheese, seasonings, etc.) I fixed twice, the dogs would not even eat them. And I even doctored them up, adding more seasonings. They tasted awful to us. I know some of you really like these kinds of potatoes, but after you have lived on real potatoes for years, these are really awful, and that's being nice. As for the instant mash potatoes, well we can eat them if I add enough butter and cream to them. I know you are supports to add milk, but I have a lot of cream, and the cream helps them taste better.  Store bought food is not looking good, we may not eat our usual  amount of potatoes this winter. Tommy says it's my fault they will not eat these things as I have spoiled them with fresh home grown foods. Now it's my fault, what am I to do?

Having to stay in the house to watch and listen for Tommy, I have knitted 2 pairs of house socks and working on my third. I cut a set of queen flannel sheets into 10" squares to use as tissues and napkins. Second lesson, that's a lot of hemming to do. And don't think you can get it done in one day at the kitchen table. This is not possible, the sack is very tall, and took me a whole day just to cut them out. 

Third lesson , the harder you try to be quiet, the more noise you make. This goes for old and young alike.

Fourth lesson, don't try and feed your family store bought cakes or cookies, even if they are given to you. They make funny faces and weird sounds and want to know what they did wrong.

Last lesson, don't spoil your family as this makes it really hard on you. An easy night in the kitchen is 1 hour instead of 3 hours. So much for store bought. Please don't get me wrong, I love my family and love cooking for them, and will keep doing so. And at times I think twice about making something new from scratch as I know I will then always have to make it from scratch. But I keep doing it, just to see the smiles on their faces, and their big belly's.

I really enjoy the way we live. To me it's the best for all, a little work, a little good food, a little fresh air, a little fun, a lot of smile, a few tears, lots and lots of prayer, a little rain, a little sun, a lot of great friends. Boy, life is good, and God has blessed us all.

Well I better get this day started and see what I have to get into.  Becky

P.S. As an award to my family for having to eat store bought goods, I have to make a pineapple upside down cake today. Oh what a hard life I have.

Comments:

  • Becky, Maybe you could use those dry potato slices in soups this winter. Might be a good use for them. Good luck. Comment by Laura | October 10, 2008 |

  • I know what you are talking about the sewing of napkins. It is easy cutting them out but wow does it take time to sew the raw edges, whew! I also found out that if I kept a container full of water with some soap, I just throw the dirty napkins in there to soak. When the time comes to need more I just hand wash them and hang them up to dry. Of course you can throw them in with the laundry. Prayers to you & your family! Comment by Sage White Owl | October 10, 2008 |

  • Hello Becky:Happy Thanksgiving (from here in Canada). I found it is much faster to just tear the material in strips the size I want. One long strip and then tear that strip to the size either square, rectangle etc. If you have a serge, it goes much faster than by hand if not how about a tight zig -zag stitch right next to the raw edge if you have a sewing machine . If you don’t have a zigzag stitch on your machine you could always press a narrow hem and then press over again to contain the raw edge and then just straight stitch. Hope this is helpful. Debbie   Comment by Debbie | October 10, 2008 |

  • Laura, Thank you, I will try that.

    Sage White Owl, Good to hear from you again. How are you and your family doing? Thank you for the soaking napkins, I will need to do this as there is a lot of white in my napkins. Thank you for your prayers. Have a great day.

    Debbie, Happy Thanksgiving to you. For some reason my serge and zig zag stitch have stopped working. Most likely because I have a very large pile of napkins to do. Oh well, I’m folding and stitching, which is taking a little longer but it’s getting done.Thanks for the tearing idea, I’ll do that next time. Becky Comment by jordansfarm | October 11, 2008 |

  •  

    No comments:

    Post a Comment