Sunday, October 12, 2008

Getting Ready for the Road Ahead - Part 1

Economic Situation - Recession - Life Ahead : this post was the first, and you all asked for links and more of what I was printing off.

In these posts, I will list links to things I'm printing off. ( I started out just taking notes as we did not have a printer). Now most of these sites have a lot of other great information on them and ideas, some of which I know will not work in our family or will be to costly, but might work in yours.

When I look up something, I make sure it's the cheapest and works the best. And I try and make sure it's with things I have easy access to, or have a lot of uses for.

Most of you have seen this one, but to me it's my best find so far.

I found this recipe and like it the best for a few reasons: I can get Ivory soap bars for 3 for a dollar and baking soda is cheap, both Ivory and baking soda store just about forever, not a lot of work to make, can be used to clean other things. I have bought Ivory and as have baking soda, for when it’s need. I really don't want to work with lye.

Homemade Laundry Soap Detergent Recipe this recipe is in the Home Tips tab at the top of the page here. I got this at: 10 Homemade Laundry Soap Detergent Recipes ( Recipe #8) There are other recipes here, too.

Homemade Sanitary Pads , I have made these and used them too.

End Times Reports Site Index : this is a great site. I have gotten a lot here. Stop in and see if it has something else for you. Below are posts I like: Building a solar oven , Making candles ,An inexpensive water filter , Emergency Food and Water Supplies - from FEMA , WATER TANK STERILIZATION , STORING WATER IN 2 LITER POP BOTTLES , WATER DISINFECTION , Home Remedies , Survival and Austere Medicine (long .pdf download) Very good! (it's 213 pages long, just print off what you need and save to your computer) , Powdered Milk Recipes ,Making and using a solar cooker with photos ( I like this one the best) ,Using herbs , Homemade Convenience Foods : a lot of good recipes here. Food, Food Storage and Food Tips : a lot here, you can pick and choose. Cloth Toilet Paper,towels, napkins (still sewing these)

How To's --Knitted Socks with photos , When I first started knitting, I started with this. She gives step by step with photos. Here is the pattern it's self: An very easy knitted sock pattern step by step great - started

Today, I added bleach ( 1 cup)to my water storage tank (425 gallons). Then I stirred it up and will let it sit for a day. Then I will drain it and refill with fresh water. Why do I drain it after I put the bleach in? Well it helps to keep the inside of the tank clean. And when I drain it out, there is still water (about 25 gallons) in the bottom. Adding fresh water to that little bit of water with some bleach still in it, has no different taste to it than out of the sink. But still has enough bleach to keep water good and clean all winter. The power goes out here a lot in the winter, so we have a water storage tank. Before we got the tank, I had 2 liter bottles and milk jugs filled with water in every hiding place I could find. Do you know how many milk jugs of water it takes to keep a milk cow in water? Too, too many. Do you have any water stored up? This should keep you all busy for a day or two, while I get the next post ready. Here I need your help too. So if you have found something you want to share with everyone, please put it in the comment part and I'll add it to the next post too. ( to make it easier for all to get to.)

What are you looking up and printing off?

Happy printing, Becky

Becky's Farm Life

All the these posts will be tagged as "Road Ahead" and other tags, but to see just these, click on the tag "Road Ahead" in the categories drop down box. I thought about giving these posts their own tab, but I think this will work better. And make it easier for you all to get too.

Comments:

  1. Thanks so much, Becky, for sharing with us your hard work. Carla Emery’s “Old Fashioned Recipe Book” also has great ideas on soap and washing by hand, herbs, gardening, bread baking, recipes for lots of good, healthy foods, livestock and so much more. Amazon has it (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Old+Fashioned+Recipe+Book) with new and used ones beginning at $19.71. If you are looking for wringers and live near an Amish settlement, their hardware stores might carry them. In the fall and spring the Amish have benefit auctions that will, no doubt, have old wringer washers. Be sure to check out auctions of elderly folks. We found just the wringer off an old washer in a garage sale of an older gentleman. You never know when one might turn up. Thanks and blessings to all! You are so helpful!! Comment by Linda J October 12, 2008

  2. I just made my first batch of homemade laundry detergent. I used recipe #8 that was just Ivory soap, water, and baking soda. It only took about 20 minutes to make 2 gallons! I just used my last two empty store bought containers. Nothing like running out of store bought to get me to finally make my own! I bought the Ivory soap and baking soda a couple of weeks ago just for this purpose. And I bought like 5 boxes of baking soda. They were like .46 each at Aldi’s…I think….for a two cup box. A wringer washer though…..Uhhh…not sure if I am up to that though!! I would love to have a HUGE water storage container like you have! With 7 of us and the power out having water to flush the toilets is a necessity!!! Comment by Pamspride October 12, 2008

  3. Linda J., I have that book, it’s a must, wonderful book. And so worth it’s money. --Pam Spride, I’m glad you made your soap. And thanks for the prep time,too. Thank you both, Becky Comment by jordansfarm October 14, 2008

  4. I read this post yesterday and was not able to get the mental image of you trying to keep a milk cow in water from two liters out of my head, lol. Wow, I can’t even imagine. I have the Emery’s book as well and it is *wonderful*. So full of wonderful and useful information. It’s a must have for the home library. Comment by D. October 15, 2008

1 comment:

  1. Becky,
    Thanks for all the links, I'm going to be checking them out to see what we can use here at Countryview. How is Tommy feeling? I will continue to pray for him and you as well. Hope you have a good day!
    Bill

    ReplyDelete