Thursday, October 2, 2008

Farm Life & A Great Oatmeal Cookie Recipe

I woke up this morning to 36 degrees and our first frost. It was cold. Winter is coming to fast, I still have a lot to do. And I'm going as fast as I can. Any one else in this boat with me?

Yesterday, I put all the house fans in storage. Tommy closed off the ceiling vents in the house. Looks like when did it just in time. Last night we started our normal winter snack, homemade hot chocolate after dinner (the recipe for this is in the recipe tab at top of page). And boy, was it good.

This morning I'm making cookies, to help warm the house up. Now there is a story with these cookies. Tommy does not like oatmeal, period. So some boys I know, Stevens Brothers, let me try one of their cookies. And it was great, wonderful cookie. So I asked them for the recipe so as I could make them at home for me. Thinking I could keep some cookies I like around the house more than 3 days. While I made a batch, Tommy asked what they were, I told him oatmeal cookies. He said said let me try one, I said there is oatmeal in them, he said I want to try one. I thought oh no Lord, just let me have one thing.

Well, he loved them. But these are great cookies that are good for you, too. So in away I am happy Tommy likes them, he needs the fiber. And at times we all have had them for breakfast.

Wonderful Oatmeal Cookies By: the Steven's Brothers

1 cup shortening

1 cup white sugar

1 cup brown sugar

2 cups plain flour (all purpose)

1 tsp salt

2 eggs

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1 tbsp water

2 tsp vanilla

3 cups oatmeal old fashion

1/2 - 1 cup walnuts (can add)

Cream shortening and sugars: add eggs, then dry ingredients, water, and flavoring. Do this with a electric mixer. Stir in oatmeal by hand, plus add walnut. Drop in small balls on ungreased cookie sheet, then press down with the backside of a spoon. Bake at 375 degrees for about 12 minutes.

They freeze well if you can make enough. Enjoy.

I just pulled first batch out , and for some reason they have already been eaten. These are really good. (shhh, I just had two, warm ones are so much better.)

Have a wonderful day. Becky

Technorati Tags: ,,

Comments:

Thought I would say I really enjoy your blog! I love the old-fashioned ways of doing things, being frugal, etc. I would like to bless you with some funds, but will have to discuss it with my honey first! It has been cool here in Missouri, but no frost yet, thank the good Lord! Much love, Raquel XO Comment by Raquel October 2, 2008
  • Raquel, I am glad you are enjoying my blog. I’m just trying to help others along the way. Thank you for stopping in. Have a great day. Becky Comment by jordansfarm October 3, 2008

  • Becky, I knew exactly what you meant, when you said please just let me have one thing…, around here I have tried putting nuts in the cookies etc., because my DH swears he doesn’t eat anything with nuts! Well, you guessed it, the cookies disappear. The next thing I’m going to try is espresso powder! He really dislikes coffee. Glad you’re getting things buttoned up before it really gets cold. Comment by matronofhusbandry October 3, 2008

  • 1 comment:

    1. Tommy & Becky,
      Glad to read your post, I didn't have time yesterday to comment but I wanted to today. I LOVE oatmeal cookies with raisans in them and if you really want something good drizzle a little icing on them. MMMM GOOD! Hope you are felling pretty good Tommy. Just remember "This a the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it"!! Until next time,
      Bill

      ReplyDelete