Sunday, October 26, 2008

Homemade Ideas and Memories

Well I have been up since 3:30 am with Tommy this morning. I got him settled and back to bed, now I'm wide a wake. So here I am, I can do this quietly.

Turns out that we all really like using the flannel napkins and tissues. Because some of them are so cute even my 11 yr. old has stopped using her clothes to wipe her nose. She now is always carrying one around with her. And showing them off to all her friends.

You say you can't sew a straight line. So,who cares. I don't know of any sewing police out there. No sewing machine, hand sew. I did for 5 years before I got a machine, or borrow one. Not all my lines are straight. I am no master sewer. I do the best I can and that's it.  I know your family is not doing to say, "I'm not using this, the lines are not straight."

Yesterday, at the thrift store, I found some really cute flannel baby blankets for 10 cents each. I bought what they had, 5. I will just cut these into fourths, and only have to hem two sides. This is a time saver. I still have not finished all the others yet. But they are using them, and liking it and you can't beat the price.

I also found those  small square baby  water proof changing pads for 10 cents each.  And bought 4, this was all they had.(we have a lot of wood furniture in our home).  These I will cut some into coasters for drinks, some put under plants, and I have 2 uncut ones on my dryer under the clothes soap and vinegar. ( so as not to farther rust the top of my dryer, which we have had for 13+ years now). I have some cut to go between the homemade pads and underwear for leak protection, they are very bendable. When they are dirty, just wash and dry them. When they are cut they do not have to be hemmed, oh what a blessing. Usually one side is a solid  color and the other at times has a pattern on it.  You could always sew a piece of fabric on top to match the colors in your home.

The bigger crib/chair/bed water proof pads: can be cover with  fabric on top and used in to bathroom when getting out of the shower (shower mat). No more wet floors and its washable, without the backing wearing off. These bigger pads I have picked up used for $.50 to $1.00. The top fabric can easily be changed as needed.  These can be used too, for homemade pads, just add a soft top, but do not sew down middle, just outside edges. Do not sew in the middle, just sew the fabric to the outside edges, when making a shower mat. As sewing in the middle will cause them to leak where the needle has gone through.

Those nice quilted mattress covers, at thrift stores here sell for about a dollar. They can be used to make pot holders, and batting in quilts. I made one quilt using this, and it was so much easier. As the cover was already quilted, no more batting balling up when washed. So what if there is a few stains, wash and use, who is going to take it part to see the stains. They can be cut to go into homemade pads too as the center. Or used to make a chair cushion, or foot stool pads. Just sew layers together until you get the thickness you want. 

Earlier before I left for town Saturday morning, Tommy asked me to buy a pumpkin, for him and Tommielynn to carve. As we have never carved one. Tommielynn picked out the biggest one she could carry. When we got home she had to bring it in to show her daddy. The smiles on both their faces and the laughter in their voices was worth more than $6. Tommy can no longer run outside to watch her do something new, or play with her like he used too. Carving a pumpkin, he can do in the house sitting down, and do it with her. It's the little things in life that make the best memories. This will be one I will never forget.

With hard times hitting everyone, please take some time to make some happy memories of your own. Once today is gone, you can not get it back. The best happy memories are usually free or very cheap.

God bless you all, Becky

Comments:

  1. Get a photo of the smiles and “Pumpkin guts” and a finished product to share with us. This is a family tradition for us. Comment by Sheila | October 26, 2008 |

  2. Hi Becky! I love all the ideas, especially for the waterproof changing pads. Putting them under plants is a good idea. I’ve been rearranging things in our house just to try and make things neater and work better. The challenge of having a family in a small home! Hope you have a wonderful day! Hugs!! Comment by D. | October 27, 2008 |

  3. Sheila, I will post photos as soon as they carve it. We are waiting for Tommy to feel a little better.
    D., I know all about a small house. And I also know love grows best in small places.
    Becky Comment by jordansfarm | October 28, 2008 |

  4. I have put Tommy and you on my prayer list, Becky! You come to mind often and I continue to pray for the Lord’s strength to get you through each ‘minute’. I remember when I took care of my Daddy and that is all I looked for at times.. strength for the next moment. God was faithful! Comment by Georgene | October 28, 2008 |

  5. Becky, Has anyone ever suggested following the Hallelujah Diet for Tommy? Check out the testimonials: http://www.hacres.com/home/home.asp  My husband’s father died of cancer last year, and we wanted him to follow this diet, but he didn’t want to. Comment by Lisa | October 30, 2008 |

 

No comments:

Post a Comment