Sunday, July 20, 2008

What's Stored, What's else is needed for at least 1 year?

Ok, I have check on what and how much I have stored this far. So I will know just what else I really need to store to go at least a year. This is only for canned foods I've canned, not store brought goods.  This list and how many jars needed for a year is for 3 people and I figure for not being able to go to store at all , so my numbers are really a little high( so it might last more than a year).  Some of this is from last year. But due to time and strength, I did not want to can more than we really used from the garden.

GREEN BEANS:(use 3 qts. a week)  have 159 qts. ( might can more)

SWEET POTATOES: (only 1 person eats) have 25 pts.

POTATOES: ( use about 2 qts. a week)  have 13 qts. ( need about 91 more qts.)

SHARP CHEEDAR CHEESE:  have 6 pts. and 5 jelly jars ( want to can more, if they go on sale again)

CHEESE SAUCE: have 42 jelly jars ( want to can more, if they go on sale again) ( one jar makes mac and cheese for 4 people.)

MILK: ( use about 3 qts. a week) have 56 qts ( need about 100 qts. more)

CARROTS: have 30 qts. (only used it stew and soup, have enough)

TOMATOES: ( use about 1-2 qts. week) have 44 qts. ( will can more if tomatoes do good this year)

FRUITS(use about 2 qts. a week)

APPLE SAUCE:  have 48 qts.

APPLE SLICES: have 27 qts.

PEAR CHUCKS: have 45 qts.

JELLIES AND BUTTERS: ( use about one pint a week)

APPLE BUTTER :  have  9 pts.

APPLE JELLY: have 17 jelly jars

PEAR JAM:  have 40 jelly jars

MIXED JELLIES:  have 5 jelly jars

STRAWBERRY SYRUP: have 3 jelly jars

STRAWBERRY JAM: have 6 jelly jars and 2 pts. ( 7 gallon freezer bags in freezer to make more jam) 

I am so thankful for all my stores. I know I have stated before that I was going to can every thing I could get my hands on, but well this was really stressing me out. I know how to garden and have seed for next year already, so why stress myself out? And all this will last us more than a year.  And I'm slowly running out of shelf space in the food barn.  I do not want  3 years of apples and no potatoes or green beans, ect.

Our beefalo (bull cow) is going in the freezer within the next 2-3 weeks.  And 1 cow would last us a year with 5 people (2 adults, 2 teenagers, 1 child)eating. Now only 2 adults and one child, should last us much longer. We have about 26 young chicks that should be ready for the freezer by winter. If we need more, we'll kill as needed. I can get 2-3 meals out of one chicken for us. We still have about 1 pig in freezer from last year, so we are good on meat.

My next post I'll do store bought goods and how much I have and need for a year for 3 people. Hope this helps someone. If you need any help or have any questions, just let me know.  If you can figure out about how much your family eats a month, that's the place to start, even a week is a good start.

Hope you all have a great day.

Becky

Comments:

  • Wow! Becky, you are so well prepared!I didn’t know you could can potatoes. Do you use a pressure canner? Is there a varieties that are better to use than others?I’m looking forward to your store bought list, since this is mostly what we have stored right now.Thanks for sharing
    Joyce Comment by Joyce | July 20, 2008 |

  • That’s awesome! Where do you keep it all? How many freezers do you have? Do you have grains (wheat, oats, flour, sugar, etc.) too? And, the fact that you do it all mostly by yourself is amazing to me! You are quite the woman! Comment by Darce | July 20, 2008 |

  • Great list Becky, I think most people have no idea how much they need for an entire year. You putting all this down will help people just starting to stock their own food supplies.
    It takes a huge effort, don’t work too hard and take care. Comment by matronofhusbandry | July 21, 2008 |

  • Joyce: yes I pressure can the potatoes. I am not sure about varieties, I just can what comes out of the garden.
    Darce: I have three freezers in the food barn, I have photos here:
    http://jordansfarm.wordpress.com/2008/06/19/why-what-how-i-am-storing-and-stocking-up-food/I do have grains, but they are store bought, and will be listed in next post, ok. Comment by jordansfarm | July 21, 2008 |

  • Thanks, Becky! Hope you’re not working too hard today. I’m making a birthday dinner for our daughter today. She would want fried chicken on such a hot day. Off to finish the potato salad and carrot cake. Joyce Comment by Joyce | July 21, 2008 |

  • Joyce,
    We do fried chicken for birthdays too, but I’m lucky because it’s in Jan. when it’s not hot.
    And for some reason when I make potato salad, the potatoes are to soft or to hard. But I found a way to make perfect potato salad every time. I use my canned potatoes, it’s great. I make carrot cake too, but just for birthdays. Hope you all had a great day.
    Becky Comment by jordansfarm | July 22, 2008 |

  • Thank, Becky Everything went wonderfully! I nearly melted into the kitchen floor…but other than that…Joyce Comment by Joyce | July 22, 2008 |

  • Might want to run a thin strip of wood along the outside of your shelves if you are in an earthquake prone area - don’t want all of that work to fall off and break ! Comment by Debra | July 22, 2008 |

  • You are amazing! Comment by Jodi | July 26, 2008 |

  • Could you tell me how you can your carrots? I bought some baby carrots on sale and am thinking about canning them. I’d appreciate your thoughts! I consider you to be my canning guru!  D

    Thanks so much!
    Stacie  Comment by arksoaper | September 16, 2008 |

  • Stacie,just wash, can cut in half of leave whole,
    cook: at 10 lbs pressure, pints 25 mins and qts. 30 min. Good luck
    Becky  Comment by jordansfarm | September 17, 2008 |

  • Thank you so much, Becky! Have a wonderfully blessed day!
    Stacie Comment by arksoaper | September 17, 2008 |

  • Why are you not canning your beefalo and chickens? I have done it and it is so easy! Comment by other canning mom | October 3, 2008 |

  • Other canning mom,
    I do can some meat, but not a lot. I seem to only have enough canning jars for vegs, fruit, jellys, etc. Have a great day. And thank you for stopping in.
    Becky   Comment by jordansfarm | October 3, 2008 |

    No comments:

    Post a Comment