Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Store bought goods: What I have and what else is needed for at least 1 year.

With the list below and our garden food, cow meat, our milk cow, chickens(meat and eggs) will give us over a years supply of food. I'll buy things here and there, but not much. I cook from scratch, so you may or may not use what's on my list. Over the years I have found lots of ways to make different things, with a little in store. Example: elbow noodles can be used in soups,mac and cheese, spag. I have other things stored, but this is our MUST HAVE list. And I have been stocking up now for over a year, so please don't let this overwhelm you and you feel it's to late, because it's never to late. Just start slow and easy, buy a few extra things here and there. Some stored food is better than none.

Yeast: 3 lbs. ( this should last us over a year, used to make bread)

Flour: 35- 5lbs. bags ( we don't have a grain grinder yet, but it's on my wish list, so for now I buy flour. And I will most likely need to buy more before years out, due to not lasting for more than a year.)

Sugar: 42-5lbs. bags ( yes, this is a lot of sugar, but not really when you start making jellies and will most likely need more before the year is out.)

Lard: 50 lbs.

Salt: a full 5 gallon bucket ( we try and keep extra, in case we need to salt down meat to keep it good. I would like one more bucket, well it's on list.)

dry powered milk: 10 big boxes= 50 made gallons (there is so much you can do with this, and we LOVE the hot cocoa mix.)

instant oatmeal packets: a full 5 gallon bucket (you say instant? Well they were on a great sale and well mine like a little flavor now and then)

rice: 60+ lbs.

elbow noodles: 30 lbs. ( use this for mac &cheese, soups, spag.)

fruit cocktail: 10- #10 cans ( these were a blessing from someone)

tomato sauce: 15 oz. cans- 30 ( used in homemade spag. sauce, chili, pizzas, soups)

lemon juice: 9- 1qt. bottles (use in making cheeses, putting fruit in, making jams)

mixed vegetable: 14 oz cans=30 and #10 cans=4 ( we love beef veg. soup, so in late fall I make big batches of soup and can it for the winter. I use our beef ribs as meat for soup, as we like the pork ribs better. And the beef ribs take up more room in the freezer. I use these veg's. to save a little time, and it still works out cheaper then buying soup in cans.)

tomato juice: 18= 46 oz cans ( for drinking and adding to soups)

pork and beans: 20 cans

kidney beans: 24 cans ( just for chili, hubby is only one who eats it.)

molasses: 6- 12 oz jars ( cooking)

cocoa: 8 lbs.( for homemade brownies, hot cocoa, cookies, cakes)

cans of fruit(peaches, pineapples, etc.): 29 cans

tomato paste: 2-#10 cans and 6 little cans ( used in soups, spag. and sauces)

bisquick: 16 lbs.( I know a boxed a mix, but hubby makes breakfast and he like using this for only pancakes and a chicken coating. And if I can come in from milking to hot cakes, it's ok.)

ketchup: 4 bottles

pancake syrup: 9 bottles

rolled oats: 25 lbs. ( used for baking, eating and cookies)

peanut butter: 17 jars ( life is good if you have enough PB&J)

spag. noodles: 20 lbs.

baking soda: 15 lbs.

corn starch: 12- #10 cans ( someone gave us, but stores just about forever, I will not use this much in a year, maybe not even 5 years.)

powder sugar: 8-#10 cans (someone gave us, and will not use this all in a year, but stores a long time.)

BBQ sauce: 15 bottles ( on sale at $ .50 each, this was all that was left. Used for BBQ - Ribs.)

honey: 3 qts.( cooking and eating)

can potato slices: 24 cans ( if you drain them, then fry in butter and onions, on very good. a good sale on them.)

pop corn: 10 lbs.

grits: 5 lbs.( should last a year, hubby is the only one to eat them.)

barley: 2- #10 cans ( used in soups, and side dish)

spag. sauce: 15- 26 oz cans ( this is the smaller can and we always doctor it up and add more, it's used a a base.)

pizza sauce: 9 jars ( time saver. I make the Mozz. and crusts for homemade pizzas. The jar is only a dollar and makes 3-4 pizzas)

hash browns: 4-#10 cans

instant potatoes: 2-#10 cans

chocolate pudding instant: 4- #10 cans ( someone gave us, and it's ok)

can peas: 10 ( the only way to get my family to eat peas is in soups and to make cheesy peas( using my canned cheese sauce).

mayonnaise: 5 jars

sweet relish: 3 jars

can mushrooms: 7

evaporated milk: 18 cans

both vinegar: 8 gallons

veg. oil: 10 bottles

shortening in cans: 6

vanilla: 6 bottles

baking powder: 6 cans

onion powder: 8 bottles ( we use powders instead of those mixed with salt, you get more for your money. And we use them daily. I might have to buy more. To spice up a grilled cheese add the onion and garlic powder, it's a great change.)

garlic powder: 8 bottles

cinnamon: 8 bottles

seasoned salt: 5 bottles

spray Pam bottles: 6 ( don't usually buy, but they were on a great sale)

Hershey's syrup: 5 bottles

dried potato slices, instant mashed potatoes: 14 boxes ( used on busy nights )

box cake mixes: 15 ( these were on sale too)

tubs of frosting: 6 ( I have not master this from scratch yet, and will need to buy more)

powdered Gatorade( big cans, makes 6 gallons each): 7 ( this is so great for everyone, for when their sick or out in the sun)

Between these two list, has help me to really see what we have and need. And it's been a while since I done it. For some reason if it's on paper it goes in brain better than just looking around. Please only stock what your family will eat, even if it's a great sale. And the more you can make from scratch the better and will save you more money. Try and learn to cook at least one new thing a week from scratch. Happy stocking.

Hope this helps.

Becky

Comments:

  1. Well, I’m truly in awe of you, Becky Thank you for a very comprehensive list. I must admit, it makes me feel rather inadequate. At this point, I’m still working on a three month supply of what we eat on a regular basis. Your list gives me a lot of inspiration and renewed motivation to achieve my own goals. Thank you! Joyce Comment by Joyce July 23, 2008

  2. I keep a similar list of my home canned goods and store bought goods. It really helps out when you are stockpiling to know how much you have on hand and what your goal amount is. I also date each item so it makes for a good revolver system. Comment by Caroline July 23, 2008

1 comment: