Friday, July 4, 2008

Stocking food, brownies recipe,

Expiration Dates on stored food ( put in stocking food tab)http://jordansfarm.wordpress.com/stocking-food/

I use a big black pen to write the date in big letters on front of package, then as I buy new, I put it where the dates go from oldest to newest. I just look around my stores at the dates facing me. Then once a month, I go though and pull every thing that needs to be eaten that month, and bring in to the house. Most can goods are good for years, but as the years go by they loose some nutritional value with age. If you are buying for your stockpile, look at the expiration dates as you buy, I have moved cases of food to get food that has more than a year from exp. date( I do put the other cases back like I found them). The oldest food is always on top or in the front. No store people have said any thing to me as long as I put things back. It your money, and with money being tight, why not buy the freshest you can. It takes a little more time, but if your like me you have more time than money.

Recipes (is in tab too)http://jordansfarm.wordpress.com/recipes/

More Brownies Please

1 cup butter(2 sticks)

2 cups sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla

4 eggs

3/4 cup cocoa

1 cup all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup nuts optional ( but are great with walnuts)

Preheat oven to 350, grease 13 X 9 X 2 pan, melt butter in a pan then turn heat off and stir in sugar and vanilla, add eggs one at a time beating well with wooden spoon after each egg, add cocoa, beat until blended, add flour, baking powder, salt, beat well. stir in nuts. Bake at 350 for 30 - 35 min. or until brownies pull away from the sides of pan. Enjoy!

Home Tips (is in tab too)http://jordansfarm.wordpress.com/home-tips/

I found flannel sheets at thrift store, full sets, king size set $2.00 and queen size set $2.00. I will cut these up to make: washable paper towels, washable tissues, washable napkins, and to make pads. That's a lot of material for $4.00.

I am buying less cleaners and making my own cleaners. I will list some in a few days.

Hope everyone has a happy 4th. Becky

Comments from Becky's Farm Life:


With the current uncertainties with food prices there is a greater need for us to conserve and be increasingly economical about food consumption at home. We have become wasteful as consumers of food and have never really had a need to feel otherwise before this crisis started. Blaming the rampant consumerism of the supermarkets has now irrelevant in this discussion. The situation now is that if we don’t change our food habits this situation could easily escalate completely out of control. The responsibility is now on us all to change our food buying and food consuming habits.Simple food saving tips are things we need to get used to and practice more regularly. Most of these are common sense and can be quite creative. You can find a list of free food saving tips at sites such as http://www.foodcrisis.co.uk amongst other similar sites as well.We all need to contribute to a fairer and more food wise program for ourselves.
Comment by hungrybritain August 7, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment