Saturday, July 5, 2008

Here's more in home, recipes, and stocking food

Around the farm: It's been over cast most of day, praying for rain. I have cut the runners from my strawberries, suckered my tomatoes yet again, washed clothes and hung out side, weeded some, and now taking a break.

Home Tips ( http://jordansfarm.wordpress.com/home-tips/ )

I found this recipe and like it the best for a few reasons: I can get Ivory soap bars for 3 for a dollar and baking soda is cheap, both Ivory and baking soda store just about forever, not a lot of work to make, can be used to clean other things. We use ERA detergent the most as it works best on the farm, and being able to make something's is better than nothing . And I have not learned yet to make soap. But I'm am preparing for hard times to come,( power outages, no money, nothing in stores to buy, etc.). I have bought Ivory and as have baking soda, for when it's need. There are some many things happening all around us. This recipe is the cheapest I can find and the easiest to make( which is what I look for in all recipes).

Homemade Laundry Soap Detergent Recipe

2 gallons Water (hot)
1 bar Soap (grated)
2 cups Baking soda (yes baking soda this time–not washing soda)

  • Melt grated soap in a saucepan with enough hot water to cover. Cook on medium-low heat, stirring frequently until soap is melted.
  • In a large pail, pour 2 gallons hot water. Add melted soap, stir well.
  • Then add the baking soda, stir well again.
  • Use 1/2 cup per full load, 1 cup per very soiled load

I got this at: http://tipnut.com/10-homemade-laundry-soap-detergent-recipes/ ( Recipe #8) There are other recipes here, too.

Homemade Sanitary Pads

Ok, ladies what happens when and if you can't buy sanitary pads. This is a must, to use all the time not really. But if you made a few to just have in case, this is something that we need, monthly. Yes, you could stock up on store bought ones, this is just a money saving tip. These could also be used in a first aid kit, if needed. When I find something like these, I think of other ways it can be used. The site I found to make them is: http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/sanitarypads.htm

Recipes ( http://jordansfarm.wordpress.com/recipes/ )

I know this is a winter time recipe but if you had it now, you might be able to stock up for it.( the price of powdered milk keeps going up, but this drink can also replace a glass of milk too, which is a treat for kids, and us older people.) And here they will not drink the powered milk any other way. And in hard times, this is a great boost.

Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix

Makes 14 cups (this makes a 28 cup batch)

2 cups instant non fat milk (4 cups)

1/2 cup cocoa (1 cup)

1 1/2 cup sugar (3 cups)

1/4 teaspoon salt (1/2 teaspoon)

Mix all together well, store in an air tight bowl. To use add 3 heaping tablespoons to a cup of hot water, not boiling. If you have a coffee maker- run water with no coffee, this is just the right temp. ( after making it with the hot water and stirred good , it can be put in the ice box and becomes choc. milk, this is good too.)

Stocking Food ( http://jordansfarm.wordpress.com/stocking-food/ )

Yes, we do have a milk cow, who gives 3 1/2 gallons of milk a day. And yes, I can and freeze the milk. But I also keep the dried milk on hand( 3-5gal. buckets, about the time I run out, it's on sale again and well keep 6-8 months in a cool dark place.). If I can't get feed for her due to no money and or no food to buy, and when she dries up- I'll have milk. We use a lot of milk both to drink and cook with. What I do with the dried milk: make cheeses , hot cocoa mix, in baking.

The many uses of powdered milk-great site for more ideas; http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/powderedmilk.htm

Comments from Becky's Farm Life:

You sound like my kind of person.Heres a hint you may want to try. Air and moisture is your enemy for long term storage of almost any item.Grit your teeth and get a vacuum sealing machine. They remove most of the air and moisture and make an air tight sealed container. Without air, bugs, mold and ohert pest can not survive. Vacuum sealed soap, powered milk, beans etc will last for years if stored in a cool dry place.
Try placing a few tampons in you first aid kit, out soldiers in Iraq say they are real life savers when used in large wounds to stop bleeding until medical help can be had.
Comment by pobept July 6, 2008

very interesting
Comment by JoAnn July 27, 2008

[...] Becky’s Farm Life [...]
Pingback by Tipnut’s Hit List - July 2008 - Popular Tips » TipNut.com August 9, 2008


Have you tried this particular recipe for laundry soap? I made the traditional one with washing soda,etc. I have a huge bag of baking soda from Costco that I’d love to use it. How do your clothes turn out?
Comment by Georgene September 16, 2008


Georgene,Thank you for stopping in. This soap not yet. A friend did and says it’s great. I am making my first batch this week as we are about out of the store brought. I have been saving the empty bottles to fill up with the homemade soap.Becky
Comment by jordansfarm September 17, 2008


What kind of bottles are you putting the laundry soap in? I have an old detergent bottle with a lid that I use. I sit it on top of my dryer, next to the washer, and leave the 1/2 cp. measurer next to it. I’ve been making my own soap for a few years and love it. I used to not be able to wash my towels in the soap because our well water had a high lead content but now that we’ve moved back to the city I think it might be better.
I loved your clothes line ideas and went to purchase some chain today. Great idea!
Comment by Georgene September 17, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment