Saturday, August 23, 2008

Drying Clothes without a Dryer

IMG_0002

This chain is on my porch. But it could be hung in a hallway or between two trees. On bad days, I fold towels in half and clothes pin them to the hangers. Blue jeans, socks, and on can also be pinned on. Even in high winds the clothes do not come off the hangers. When you go to the store to get the chain, take a clothes hanger with you, to make sure it fits in the chain.

IMG_0004

IMG_0003

Here is how Tommy screwed it to the porch.

IMG_0005

These little spindles are great. Each holds 8 pairs of socks or 8 underwear. As you can see I have a lot in the back ground. And they take up very little space. The one with the socks on it, is hanging on a clothes line that is run in our hall way. And in the winter, I hang blue jeans on this line, and other clothes. It is up out of the way, and can not be seen unless you are looking for it.

IMG_0006

I have 4 of these wooden clothes racks. I picked them up at the thrift stores for a $2.00 each. I put towels on these, too.

Hope this gives you some ideas on getting by with out your dryer.

Have a great day.

Becky

Comments;

  • I bought our folding rack at Lowes — it’s a plastic coated style. I have a small wooden one I use for laundry, but the plastic coated one is my pasta drying rack. I tried just lying the pasta across a broom handle on two chairs, but we make so much, I finally went for the larger drying rack. I certainly need aback porch and a drying line like this! My only covered porch is in front…though we live pretty rural out here on the mountain and no one really uses our road much. Guess I could just embrace my hillbilly roots and go for it, heh? Deanna Comment by Deanna September 2, 2008

  • Deanna,
    I will be trying home made pasta soon, thanks for the drying rack idea. Hillbilly roots are good for everyone. I have been known to step out of the box more than once.Becky Comment by jordansfarm September 3, 2008

  • Love the clothes on the porch! We have Amish friends that have a ‘clothes porch’ –which is one of their porches with clothes lines running across the top. To help save money, I hang clothes out even in the winter. (we live in Western PA) We laughingly call it ‘freeze drying’. If I get an early start and there is a decent breeze, lighter weight things will dry with no problem. Towels can be a bit trickier, but it can be done. It takes some skill to work clothes pins with gloves! If things aren’t quite dry, I bring them in to finish drying on my line in the basement. The bonus is the scent! The winter air smells so different and wonderful. You can’t put that in a bottle. Comment by Linda J September 27, 2008

  • Linda J.,Thank you. I usually hang my clothes out at about lunch time in the winter, no gloves. And leave them out over night to “freeze dry”. I find that if they freeze, it makes them soft, like using the dryer. I bring them in the next day, if they are still not dry, I hang them in the hallway.And this helps add moisture to the air in the house.Have a wonderful day.Becky Comment by jordansfarm September 28, 2008

  • No comments:

    Post a Comment