Sunday, July 5, 2009

Gabby - Winter - Preparing

  Well, I love being a Nana. Gabby is doing great. She sleeps at times up to 5 hours. And only really cries when it’s time to eat or we change her diaper. She has kept us on our toes. :)

  I need your help. I am looking for a knitted soaker pattern ( cloth diaper cover). A friend gave us some all in one cloth diapers, but I have a lot of the old cloth diapers so I need the soakers for them. And I’m getting ready to start knitting my first sweater (baby sweater). For some reason I have a fear of knitting a sweater. So someone said to start with a baby sweater. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

  The farm is doing good. The house is ok, I rather spend time with Gabby than clean. :) TommieLynn and I are getting ready for school to start, and looking forward to something new. So we have been busy.

I am still looking for new ways to stretch money and make more things at home. More people are cutting back on extras ( turning off: cable, phones-home and cell, internet, etc.) and winter is not here yet. And I have just started preparing for winter. Having put so much information on stocking up and preparing last year on this blog, I am not sure what else is need. So if you don’t tell me what you need, I  will just write about what I am doing now and about things that come to mind.

 Things I need to make/do before winter:

*knit: soakers, baby sweater, house socks for all

*cut and sew more napkins/tissues/baby wipes

*keep a check at thrift stores for wool sweaters on sale, to take a part to make wool socks and soakers. Most times I can get a wool sweater for $1 and it will make 2 pairs of socks plus. And flannel sheets to turn into  napkins/tissues/baby wipes.

*look for ideas/items for Christmas gifts ( that time of year again)

*looking for sales at the grocery stores to keep stocked up. I only buy items on sale. I need to get stocked up on bath paper(not using homemade yet, but can use the flannel napkins if needed).

*need more fire wood. I have a small stock from downed trees in yard. I’ll use for an outdoor fire for cooking if needed, power goes out and I’m out of gas. If not needed, will use for fun fires( roasting hot dogs and marshmallows in the summer).

*I am sure there is more to do but I’ll start here.

 Ways I save money:

*I try really hard to go to town no more than once a week, it was every two weeks. But with Gabby doctor appointments it’s once a week now.

*Hang clothes outside to dry. Wash in cold water. Wash only full loads of clothes..

*Turn off everything not being used. TV’s, computers, etc. Lower hot water temperature. This has dropped my power bill by over $70 a month.

*When we do go out to eat- have to have a coupon.

*Only buy on sale items.

*See if I can make it before buying it. Even better, can I do without it.

I’m off to see what I can get into today.

Happy 4th of July. Have a great weekend.

Becky 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your blog. I am doing a church activity on food storage and was surfing the web, looking for ideas...and I came across your blog. I wish you lived close by. It would be so nice to have your expertise on canning and stuff. I wish you the best of luck, and God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi,
    Thank you for stopping by. My main blog has more information on it.
    It's: http://jordansfarm.wordpress.com/
    Becky's Farm Life
    Have a great day.
    Becky

    ReplyDelete