Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Down at the Farm -- Winter is on it's way

     It's been a long week. Tommy has really been on my mind a lot. And seem like every time I turned around, there is something to remind me of him: a song on the radio, a note he has written, a saying he always said, ect. I have cried all week.  I do good most days but this past week has been very hard. ( I think it's because I'm starting to get ready for winter and doing things he used to do. And trying hard to remember everything that has to be done.) Please say an extra prayer for me this week. I have been sick too. It's in my chest and I'm coughing and sneezing all the time, I think it's sinuses. I hate feeling yucky. I have been using the silver water so much that someone could trade me in and get rich. :) I have tried to stay away from Gabby so as she does not get sick, in case it's something other than sinuses.  I was up all night coughing, and  overslept this morning, causing TommieLynn to have 8 minutes to get ready for school and to get to the bus stop. I have never seen her get dressed so fast. But I hated it that she had to rush this morning.

     Winter is getting closer everyday. In a way, I am ready for cooler weather. It has been really hot here this year.  I will be covering my windows with plastic this year from the inside as I do not do ladders well. :) The food barn is in good order and ready for winter.  I still need to stock up more on: bath paper, sugar, veg. oil, toothpaste, shampoo. For some reason these run out the fastest. Tommy used to tell me to buy stock in the bath paper company, and we'd be rich. :) I know I can make homemade bath paper, but time is not there yet. But I know how if I have too. I have to change out the water in the 425 gallon tank in the next few weeks for winter use. I clean it out every six months to keep the water fresh. I am so thankful Tommy brought that tank, even thou at the time I questioned him buying it. Tommy has so taken care of us, still now. I can now see all the things he has done over the years and the things he has taught me, that I am using now and they are making my life easier. Thank you Lord for my time with Tommy.  I need to get someone (who is not afraid of heights) to cover all the house's outside vents and close the chicken house window up with plywood.  I need to blow out the gas heaters with the air compressor and check the gas lines.  I have to get the chicken water heater out and cleaned and check to see if it's still working. I would like to get a few more blankets and make more cloth napkins. And hopefully find time to make everyone some wool house socks.  And I need someone to show me now to use a skill saw. I need to do a few small things around the farm before winter comes.

A few questions to you all or your husbands:

1. How do I prepare the push mower for winter so that it starts next spring? The car is ready for winter.

2. How do I prepare our generator for winter? change spark plug, oil, gas??? It has not been started in months. It has a push button start and pull cord start. And it has left my mind on how to start it. Tommy always did more than just pull the cord and I can't remember.

3. Is there anything else I am missing that needs to be done before winter sets in??

4. I need to get 5 gallons of back up gas for generator or car use. How long does gas stay good??

 

     School is still going great. I am learning so much and believe it or not, I'm loving it.  I have always loved learning new things.  And the writing papers thing is getting easier, but still not fully enjoyable yet. I am holding high A's in all three classes and we are now at the half way point. This fall I am going to try taking four classes instead of three. If I can pull it off, I will finish earlier.  Tommielynn is still enjoying school. I am so proud of her, she is going great.     

     Thank the Lord the tractor sold, and the truck had died about a month ago. But I found a car, an 1988 Olds. Cutlass Ciera, 4 doors with AC, and a sun roof for a great price. Thank you Lord. The girls and I can now get around easier. I feel like a princess now with AC and a sunroof. TommieLynn loves the sunroof. :) But I still feel like an ant in a car after so many years in a truck that's higher than most cars. The car is great on gas, 3 1/2 trips to town equals one trip in the truck. :) The only draw back to the car is, I can't haul the 100lb. gas tanks (they are about 5 ft long and it will not fit in the trunk) needed for our heat this winter.  So I am trying now to figure out a way to keep us in heat this coming winter. No one in my neighborhood has a truck.

IMG_0053

 

Well I had better get back to the books. Thank you all for your comments and prayers, they have kept us going. I wish I could give each of you a hug.  Hope you all have a blessed day.

Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment